AMD APP 2.6 OpenCL SDK available for download: Includes OpenCL 1.2 and Static C++ Kernel preview
December 20, 2011 by Tony DeYoung
AMD APP SDK v2.6 is officially released. Key features supported in SDK 2.6 and the Catalyst 11.12 drivers include:
- OpenCL runtime integration into Linux and Windows Catalyst drivers.
- Inclusion of the Khronos C++ wrapper API.
- Multi-GPU support on Linux platforms.
- PX5 support.
- Preview: Support for AVX instructions on CPUs that support AVX.
- Support for FMA4 instructions in OpenCL built-in function libraries on CPUs that support FMA4.
- Kernel reflection, query kernel parameters, and enable use of OpenCL kernels in data-driven applications.
- Support for atomic counters on APUs.
- Redesign of OpenCL run-time on CPU, significantly improving performance.
- Support for the cl_amd_media_ops2 extension, exposing hardware capabilities for accelerating image-related processing.
- Async copies preview (set environment variable GPU_ASYNC_MEM_COPY=2 to enable).
The OpenCL 1.2 preview includes the following capabilities (requires 8.93.10 preview drivers):
- Host access flags for memory objects enables more efficient buffer handling.
- Pattern-based GPU buffer and image initialization eliminates need for certain buffer/image transfers.
- Memory objects migration supports early transfer of buffers in preparation for when they are needed.
- New generalized image creation API.
- Enhanced image/buffer map operations.
- OpenCL 1.2 CPU device partition, including partition of a CPU after addition to a context.
- Generalized 1D and 2D images, image arrays, and image<-->buffer interop.
The 8.93.10 preview drivers also enable use of the static C++ kernel language